The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is the minimum pay per hour most workers are entitled to by law. The rate will depend on a worker’s age and if they are an apprentice.
The following rates came into force on the 1st October 2016.
The rates from 1 October 2016 are:
- £7.20 per hour – 25 yrs old and over (National Living Wage)
- £6.95 per hour – 21-24 yrs old
- £5.55 per hour 18-20 yrs old
- £4 per hour – 16-17 yrs old
- £3.40 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship.
The rate will then change every April starting April 2017.