We have two very experienced solicitors who specialise in cases relating to children where social services are involved. We can help you if:
- you're a parent or other relative who fears for the care of a child
- you're a child who needs some advice about a case that concerns you
- your local authority has applied to court for an order that a child be placed under their care or supervision
These are obviously very serious matters and it's important that you seek advice at an early stage. We'll assist you, negotiate with the local authority and represent you in court if necessary.
We can also advise you on the role of experts and other organisations such as the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS).
Contact our expert team for more information and advice.
Our Care Law Team
- Julie Simpson
- Julie qualified in 1993 and is a solicitor in the family team. She specialises in all aspects of the law concerning children, including care work, special guardianship and adoption. She has been a Law Society Children Accredited Specialist since 2000. Julie is also a solicitor advocate and so entitled to represent her clients in all of the family courts. She is also a member of the Association of Lawyers for Children, and Resolution.
More about Julie Simpson
- Lucy Worthington
Lucy is an experienced solicitor in the family team. Lucy is a Higher Court Advocate and is a specialist in all aspects of child work including private law child disputes, care law, special guardianship and adoption.
More about Lucy Worthington
- Nick Middleton
- Nick qualified as a solicitor and joined Harland & Co in 2016 having spent 6 years as a legal caseworker dealing with a wide range of family law matters, with a focus on children law proceedings (both private & public) and domestic violence.
An experienced care practitioner in care proceedings at all court levels, Nick has dealt with complex cases involving children as witnesses, detailed medical evidence and all aspects of matrimonial and children law. He is an accredited member of the Law Society Children Panel.
Nick is based in our family team and takes a compassionate and pragmatic approach to what are often highly sensitive and emotive matters for clients.
More about Nick Middleton
- Kristie Leese
- Kristie is a paralegal in our family department supporting our family team in the preparation of care cases for court.
Kristie studied law at the University of York and joined Harland & Co in 2014.
More about Kristie Leese